NIMTS Hospital was established in 1941 during WWII, after a decision of the Ministry of Defense and agreement of the Prime Minister Tsolakoglou, for the hospitalization of the veterans of the wars as well as for their families and 1st degree relatives. The hospital opened on January 27, 1942 with a capability of 90 beds. Today, 405 beds are available.
The organization of NIMTS Hospital is as follows:
1. The Administration. The director of the NIMTS hospital is a General MD (from the Army) and the subdirector is a Colonel MD(also from the Army)
2. The medical service is organizing in the following sectors:
• A. Surgical sector consisted of two Surgical departments, a Urologic Unit, a Head and Neck Unit, a Plastic Surgery Unit, a Thoracic Surgery Unit, a Neurosurgery Unit, a Gynecologic Unit, an Opthalmology Unit, an Anesthesiology Unit and an Orthopedic Unit.
• B. Internal Medicine consisted of three Medical Departments, a Cardiology Unit, a Nephrology Unit, a Gastrenterology Unit, a Dermatology Unit, a Rheumatology Unit, a Endocrinology Unit, a otolaryngology Unit and a Neurology Unit.
• C. Laboratories consisted of Microbiology Lab, Biochemical Lab, Dept. of Pathology, Cytology Lab, Hematology Lab, Nuclear Medicine Lab, Haemodynamics Lab, Dpt of Radiology, Neurophysiology Lab, and RadioOncology Lab.